Consciousness



I adore my French classes so far.
Every speaks really well and I see my own French turning a whole new corner.

But this semester, my favorite thing about school though is my philosophy class on consciousness.

I love that the professor began class with a bit of a boiler plate review of what would be covered.
I felt instantly amused by his enthusiasm and love for what he does.

He mentioned a symptom called "Zombie-ism."
I had never heard from it but from his explanation I began to understand that it's a little something like this..

1. A zombie is a robot, a system and indistinguishable from you and I (humans)

2. Zombie-ism suggests that being conscious (as you and I are) is not essential in functioning (as you and I are conscious, functioning entities)

3. If this is true, then we discover that consciousness is completely separate from the tangibles the compose this physical world

4. This seperation is what is so mystifying. We have physicists and astronomers to further uncover proves and postulations about the world's physical integrity. What we don't have (in science books) is the explanation of how we can feeling sad, mad, angry, see colors, feel emotion etc.









Comments

  1. French is murder, but I would like to learn it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying French! I lived in France this summer and it is difficult, but great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the great comment on my blog the other day - I ended up cuddling with a blanket and watching a movie in the end so it was productive after all (though I fell aslepp during the film, oops!)

    You have a great blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. And not just because I'm French ;-)
    The pictures are beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such an interesting theory! Glad you're enjoying your French. My brother is now fluent in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. French is a pain to learn but when you master it is definitely a great great plus!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i adore your blog! so sweet!! : ) & so happy to hear how much you are enjoying your classes so far-- i have yet to start, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well. ; )
    xo-

    p.s. i got to study abroad in Germany for 6 weeks when i was sixteen! it was amazing! : ) i realllly want to go back soon... oh wanderlust.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

friday in boulder.